Monday, October 22, 2007

The new website & RSS to HTML widgets

As you know, I am currently building my website. I am going to have the lastest blog posting on my homepage, so anyone who stops by can read it.

To post my blog on my website, I am taking the RSS feed that Blogger creates and parsed it using Magpie, which spit it out as html. I did run into a couple of problems, but all-in-all after I got started it took me about 2.0 to 2.5 hours to get it set-up and running. I am not sure how long, because I spent some time looking at various RSS to HTML tools.

There are other ways of parsing RSS to HTML:
&bull Google Search on 'RSS to HTML'
&bull Google Gadgets
&bull SpringWidgets (Brought you by Papa Mudoch.)

There is a trade off by using most of these tools. The easier it is to use and set-up, the less control you have over styling and branding. Usually, the first thing that you have control over is the styling. While, I didn't go through every tool, I noticed all but Magpie left there stamp on the page. Uncle Rupert's tool was the easiest to you, but you practically lose complete control.

Later on, when I get some time, I am going to mess with the script to grab RSS feeds from various locations that I have work published.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home