Monday, September 17, 2007

Googlinians and Yahooites

My fiance, Josh, and I are sort of an odd couple. We met back in my undergraduate days while I was working nights at the Columbia Daily Tribune. He was and is a pressman, and  I worked in post press operations and went to school during the day for photojournalism. He proposed to me, then I became an interneti.

When I went webbie, we joked about the irony of our career paths. Then one day recently I suggested taking my idea for my master's project to Google or Yahoo. This is how our conversation went.
.......
Josh - "What? What am I going to do?"

Me
- "Baby, they have to have some sort of printed publication near by that you can work for."

Josh
- "No they won't! You don't understand what those places are like. There will be no place for me. They have their own cities with names like Google Town and Yahoo City. Do you think that they have printed publications in place like that. I'll bet you they don't. I'll bet you they don't even have recycling pick up for paper, because they just don't have any."

Me
- "Baby, if I am going develop this series of mapping idea for news organizations, I think Yahoo or Google would be the best places. I don't want to waste my time developing a concept, when it could already be in the works."

Josh - "What happens if everything turns out? What happens if you stay? How will you hide me? You are going to have to tell your co-workers one day what I do for a living?"

Me
- "Baby, you are being silly."

Josh
- "All those Googlinians and Yahooites are going to mock me*. They won't even let me on the compound. I can't even work the elliptical machine at the gym, let alone a computer. They will know I am a fake.... After you finish your project, you will exit the techno, Mormon-like cult compound to tell me that you are going to leave me for some Drew Carey look-alike**. I'll bet you those places are full of them."

Me
- "Baby stop, you are being ridiculous."

Josh
- "Next thing you know, you will take my Histoogle idea, sell it too Google and leave me."

Me
- (Me LOL.) "How am I suppose to take you seriously? I'm done with conversation. I'm going to back to work."

Josh - "Are you mocking my Histoogle idea?"

(Me exits stage left.)
......

*This sentence has been edited for professional purposes. Josh agreed to this edit. The original content contained a few curse words and sexual references.
**Please refer to the YouTube video of Ben Clemens, Director, Yahoo Design Innovations, in my last posting. A friend asked me, aren't you afraid to post a comment like that, especially since you are planning on pitching your project to Yahoo and Google. I told her that the best places I have worked at were so because I got along with my co-workers so well, no matter how much money I did or didn't make. I would like to think that a co-worker or supervisor would be flattered by such a comment. Then I continued to explain, that it was my fiance, not I who said it, and that I have nothing for or against Drew Carey look-alikes.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home