Monday, September 17, 2007

News aggregation for Dummies

Once when walking through a book store with a friend, out path was blocked by a large table of banana yellow books all the same size and shape, all with the word DUMMIES. My friend picked up the first book she saw and turned to me and said, "Just what we need, more dummies getting pregnant." I think we spent a hour next to that table, just trying to find the most ridiculous way to complete the sentence, "Just what we need, more dummies XXXXXX." Living Longer for Dummies, Doing Business in China for Dummies, Sucess for Dummies, Consulting for Dummies, The Complete MBA for Dummies.... the list goes on pretty far. It is like that series of books became a disease of topics over night.

I think the same the has happened with news aggregators. I can't find it, but I know the book must exist, Creating Your Own News Aggregator for Dummies. Now it seems like everyone and their brother has one. I just stumbled across Myspace's news aggregator.
Myspace News
New Media - MySpace News

Yes, they are mixing the idea of news aggregation and Digg, which is different from prior ideas. Personally, I just don't think that Myspace is going to make as a "reliable" source of news. Myspace rough around the edges. I get a certain tabloid-like vibe from them. I have been turned off by the site, because every time, I log in I end up with a bunch of spam messages.

People on the web are comparing them to Digg. It's like apples and oranges. Digg fans are going to go to Digg for the Easter Eggs that are posted. They can get aggregated news from anywhere.

My conclusion... if you want aggregated news, you are going to go to Google. If you want voted news, you are going to go to Digg. So, where does Myspace fit in?

More links about Myspace's News Beta
MySpace News: The Digg Killer 03/08/07
Exclusive: MySpace News Pics 03/13/07
Do you think myspace's just released news aggregator can compete with Digg? Is it a "Digg Killer"? (Online Poll) 04/19/07

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home